Disclaimer: I am by no means a PS guru, expert, teacher or anything of the sort. I’m a student trying to learn concepts motivated by my Photoshop final next week. These posts are study aids to get me through this exam.
Let’s change the background and use refine edge to cut out hair. Before and after images are below:
- Path out the portrait inside the lines as close as possible and inside the hair rough. Make sure Rubber Band is on.
- In Paths panel name work path. Add arm holes if applicable to image.
- Make Selection by dragging to pearly necklace icon. Go back to Layers panel.
- Create mask. This causes background to drop out.
- Double click mask – Go to Refine Edge (Mask Edge Button).
- Feather clothes 2-3 pixels edge along the edge as shown below:
- Close Refine Edge.
- Then go back to Refine Edge (Mask Edge Button). Run cursor around hair with no feathering.
- Then add background to file.
Here’s the final image with the new background: